Google I/O, Alphabet’s annual developer conference for 2016 has just concluded. We bring you the highlights of features - Android N, Google Daydream, Android Wear 2.0, Google Home and Allo and Duo, the stars of the keynote session.
Google Assistant - Revamped version of Google Now that can work within other apps, building a Personal Google for each user.
- Personal AI for users - Contextual suggestions and recommendations based on user behaviour.
- Conversation with full understanding of context - trying to make the interaction familiar and casual to users
Check out the video demo below :
Google Home - A central hub for connecting Google Assistant with connected home, smart devices and more. You can ask Google Home anything you want to know, a one pot recipe, book tickets to Jungle Book or even ask for sports scores, a la Google search. This is expected to hit the markets later this fall.
Allo - smart text-messaging and Duo - video
Google Allo is a new phone-number based messaging app. Google Duo is a companion video chat app that allows you to see the person calling you .
- Smart suggestions for replies using google assistant, similar to inbox app
- Same encryption as whatsapp, incognito chats, private notifications and expiring chats
- Can recognize content of shared photos using the google photos recognition algorithm
Project Ara modular phones
- Developer edition expected to be released later this year
- The frame contains the CPU, GPU, antennas, sensors, battery and display.
- Modules can be swapped out on the fly
- You can eg have two cameras to shoot photos in 3d. Or instead you can plug in three speakers for greater sound
Android wear 2.0
- Wearable can directly connect to internet and make calls without phone
- Handwriting recognition, soft keyboard, dark background for OLED watch displays and a new, redefined circular user interface.
- watch faces can show data from any app now
Android N - Google is still trying to figure out what they are naming this sweet treat!
- Multi window mode - Split screen between two apps
- Drag and drop e.g. images or text from one app to another
- Direct reply from notifications
- Better Doze mode - saves more battery
- Data saver mode APIs
- Finer grained access to folders on storage
- If you have a name to suggest, you can head here to put in your suggestion!
Here is a TL;DR version of the highlights